Friday, April 27, 2012

Solo Trip- In Chicago on Business

In Chicago on Business
February 19-24, 2012

I was thrilled when I was told I was to attend a week-long microscope training course at McCrone Research Institute in Chicago, Illinois.  I’d wanted to visit Chicago for years but it always lost out to another destination when it came time to pick a new place to go.  But with many attractions open in the evenings after I was out of training, I could make the most of my time in Chicago and finally see a little bit of the city.

I packed up my vehicle and left on Sunday morning, following Interstate 77 North to I-80W to I-90W toward Chicago.  I’d always thought Chicago was just a little too far for a weekend getaway but it was an easy drive and I made it into Chicago in the early afternoon.  I stayed at the Essex Inn based on the facts that it had a daily shuttle to the training center and a huge pool area on the roof.  I was not disappointed.  The pool and gym area was one of the best I’ve ever seen in any business hotel I’ve stayed at.  My room was comfortable and the hotel staff was friendly and helpful. 
Another great perk of the hotel was the ideal location on South Michigan Avenue in the South Loop district.  After checking in, I put on my hat, gloves, scarf and coat and headed out for a little winter walk around the neighborhood.  I crossed the street and walked south through Grant Park toward an area I’d seen as I was driving in- the Agora exhibit, a group of 106 huge cast iron legs and feet assembled in a courtyard.


From there I walked north through the park along Michigan Avenue, past the Art Institute of Chicago and to the Cloud Gate in Millennium Park, passing sculptures and light installations along the way.  Chicago is alive at night and there were many visitors at the Cloud Gate enjoying the Luminous Field experience, a fusion of music and light displayed against the big reflective bean.  Others enjoyed ice skating in the rink nearby.  After exploring the area a little, I headed back to my hotel.

When asked for Chicago deep-dish pizza recommendations the front desk recommended Lou Malnati’s (805 South State Street), a pizza place nearby that delivered to the hotel.  I ordered an individual-sized Classic Cheese Deep-dish Pizza.  I had no idea how much pizza that would actually be.  With the cheese below the chucky sauce, Chicago-style pizza is definitely different than what I’m used to but I loved it!  Still, I was only able to eat one piece of the very substantial pizza pie.

After a long first day of training, I decided to spend Monday night exploring the neighborhood a little.  I ended up making my way up State Street and down Wabash, taking in the lightscapes, the artwork displayed in little corner gardens and stopping at many of the shoe stores and other retail shops as I went along.  All I can say is Chicago has some great window shopping!  On my way back to the hotel I ate at Jimmy Greens (825 South State Street), a sports pub type in the South Loop near my hotel.  While waiting for my dinner, the daily special of chicken tacos, I tried a Chicago Fire shooter, a drink made with cherry and dragonberry rum, red vodka and Red Bull.  This thing packed a punch- I literally skipped back to my hotel!


Tuesday night was full of excitement.  Armed with a tourist map of the city and the advice of the front desk I decided to make my way around that evening using Chicago’s underground and elevated rail system.  I made my way to the John Hancock Center, a 100-story building.  Instead of paying $15 for admission to the observation deck I went to the Signature Room, a restaurant and lounge situated on the 95 & 96th floors.  I enjoyed an amaretto sour expertly made by a gracious bartender while taking in the amazing view- $13 with tip.  Before leaving, I was sure to stop in the ladies room rumored to have the best view of all.  I have to agree.


As a huge fan of the Bravo series ‘Top Chef’, I am also a fan of Rick Bayless, a reoccurring guest of the show.  A Chicago-native friend suggested I try his restaurant Xoco (449 North Clark Street), telling me his sandwich shop was a great and inexpensive way to enjoy his food.  Although I arrived during normal dinner hours, I was immediately given a place along a little bar dedicated to singles.  I ordered the Woodland Mushroom sandwich and savored the blend of flavors. I regret opting against dessert as I hear the churros are delectable.  After dinner, I was excited to ride the iconic El train back to my hotel. 


On Wednesday I enjoyed pizza and sandwich leftovers and a little shopping.  After debating between selections at Aldo and Aerosoles, I decided to get a mini harmonica necklace from Aldo as well as leopard print loafers and studded black leather boots from Aerosoles.  I spent the rest of the evening enjoying the gym, pool and sauna at the hotel.
I knew that the Art Institute of Chicago was open late on Thursdays but I did not know until I arrived in Chicago and heard from the shuttle driver that it is also free that evening.  After walking through a wing of ancient Asian artwork, I was thrilled to find the ‘Fabric of a New Nation’ exhibit- I love doing needlework of my own and was very inspired by this exhibit of textile and needle arts.

After wrapping up the coursework and taking the certification exam on Friday morning, I headed home.  As I got on the highway, I thought about my week of evening excursions around this warm and welcoming city and how I look forward to visiting again soon.  There is so much more to see and do in Chicago- museums, music, theatre, art, shopping, food and nightlife.  The friendliness of Chicagoans should not go unmentioned.  While eating dinner one night I talked with a guy that said although he loves his native Atlanta he now calls Chicago home.  A man on the El platform and I chatted about our travels.  Anyone I asked for directions was more than happy to help.  To me Chicago has all the culture, sophistication and indulgences as New York City but with the friendliness that the people of the Midwestern states are known for. 


No comments: