Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Ohio Day Trip- A November Afternoon of Wine Tasting

Ohio Day Trip- Wine Tasting on a November Afternoon
Sugarcreek, Fresno and West Lafayette, Ohio
November 3, 2012


Okay, I totally meant to have all my 2012 blog entries done before 2012 was over.  Alas, that did not happen.  Here I am trying to conjure up the details of an afternoon of wine tasting that happened nearly two months ago.  I must have forgotten my camera- all I have are pics I took with my phone.  I don’t even remember what wines we tasted.  This will be the most haphazard of blog posts.
I’d completed the Stark Parks Trail Trot that morning and was ready for a relaxing afternoon of wine tasting.  I met up with Jan, Di, and Meg and we traveled to our first stop- Heini’s Gourmet Market (1019 West Main Street) in Sugarcreek, Ohio.  Heini’s offers a variety of Ohio-made specialty foods, boasts a large selection at their wine bar and prepares delicious lunch items.  We enjoyed soup & sandwiches with a glass of wine while listening to a live band play Beatles and Jimmy Buffet covers.  After lunch we went around the back of the building to the thrift shop on the lower level and visited the home décor shop next door.  We enjoyed a leisurely drive along Route 93 through the heart of Ohio Amish Country on the way to our next destination.
Our subsequent stop was Pearl Valley Cheese (54775 Township Road 90) in Fresno, Ohio- Jan and her husband love it!  After shopping in their market, we headed toward our last destination- Raven’s Glen Winery (56183 CR 143) in West Lafayette, Ohio.   We sampled several of the wines at their large wine bar, then walked around the grounds a little and relaxed on the back patio.  So, I don’t remember much but I can tell you that we had a blast on this afternoon excursion- we always do when wine and shopping are involved. 

No comments: