Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ohio Day Trip- The Bluebird Winery at the Little Forest Inn

Ohio Day Trip
The Bluebird Winery at the Little Forest Inn
March 23, 2013

I grew up in Malvern, a little village in rural Ohio.  Nicknamed the ‘Vern, this little community was until recently a one stoplight town with a Dairy Queen, a few gas stations and a community park.  I didn’t realize at the time just how idyllic growing up in rural Ohio was and like many fellow ‘Vern grads, moved to a larger city where jobs, cultural events and activities were available.  Now when I drive home to visit my father, I appreciate what a quaint little enclave the ‘Vern really is.  I was, of course, THRILLED when I heard that a new winery- the Bluebird Winery at the Little Forest Inn- was operating in an old restaurant we used to jokingly call ‘The Little Forest Fire Inn’ due to the frequency of blazes that occurred there in the past.

My sister Meg and I met up with my friends Di and Mandy for an afternoon of wine tasting.  We pretty much sampled every wine available and I think we each had a different fave- although I usually go for Rieslings and enjoyed the ones offered at this winery, I purchased a bottle of Mango Citrus White wine, which I thought would make a fabulous base for a pitcher of white sangria to enjoy in the upcoming summer months.   In addition to a nice assortment of wines from around the world, a selection of delicious food items prepared by the chef on site is also available and we ordered pot stickers, fried Stromboli, crab cakes and fried pickles, all of which were scrumptious.  The winery is a comfortable and cozy spot, well decorated and with items to purchase- as you’re well aware, I’m not one to pass up a shopportunity. We enjoyed chatting with the owner and others visiting the winery- it was a nice, relaxing afternoon with good food, great wine and fabulous friends.




No comments: