Friday, September 20, 2013

A Few Words about Rootwire

A Few Words About Rootwire
Logan, Ohio
August 2-4, 2013

Rootwire Music & Arts Festival had the potential to be an amazing gathering with beautiful, peaceful people interested in a feeling of community and togetherness.  Unfortunately, there was an unsavory element that invaded the space and ruined the experience for many festival goers- the police presence that made a mission of petty busts of hippies with small amounts of marijuana and paraphernalia.  I’m all for a safe festival environment- one free of heavy drugs.  But the majority of the violations issued that day were related to a natural-grown, unprocessed plant found to have numerous medicinal properties which is legal in some states.  I understand that, like it or not, marijuana use is currently illegal in Ohio but this is a time in which that tide is turning and I am willing to stand up and say that it is time to reform the marijuana laws in this country.  My experience at Rootwire only made me more focused on what I can do as an individual to make that happen. 


Still, the festival itself pulsated with a sense of creativity and livelihood.  Everywhere I turned I saw an art installation or a group meditating or a couple dancing in a world all their own.  The lineup of bands was pretty awesome!   I connected with everyone in my festie phamily in attendance and made some unique new friends.  I shared a closeness that was tantalizing and exhilarating and raw.  I’ve learned that if I want to live a life full of experiences, they all won’t be good ones.  The bittersweet truth is that some of the best experiences we have in life are intertwined with some of the worst but those make us stronger and bring us closer.

No comments: