Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Coal Mines, Castles & Quilts- Alliance, Ohio

Ohio Day Trip
Coal Mines, Castles & Quilts
Alliance, Ohio
May 2014


I grew up about 25 minutes south of Alliance and never considered the college town to have many tourist attractions.  But when I started an extended project in the area and began looking for things to do during lunch and after work, I quickly learned that there’s quite a bit to do in the Alliance area.
 
I drive through Atwater, Ohio on my way to Alliance from Akron every morning and stopped to read the Historical Marker describing the events surrounding the Atwater Coal Company Mine Disaster of 1872.   When the entrance to the mine caught fire those who were able to jump through the flames sustained serious burns but survive.  Those that were trapped inside, including a 9-year old boy, 9 men and a mule, died.  This disaster led to Ohio being the 2nd state in the nation to pass laws protecting miners.
Mount Union College expanded into the University of Mount Union in 2010 and has added quite a bit of housing and buildings to the campus in recent years.  A sign outside Beeghly Hall on State Street advertised a free exhibit of art quilts by Jean Evans, a nationally recognized artist.  As I love needle arts, I was thrilled to spend my lunch hour browsing the display of quilts.  I found quite bit of inspiration for my own projects in her work.

Another lunch hour was spent touring Glamorgan Castle ($5 donation/pp).  Once the home of Col. William Henry Morgan, it is now the administrative offices of the Alliance City Schools. Although much of it is converted into office space, many original or restored features remain to remind us of what a grand building and estate it once was- the stained-glass dome, the ornately carved woodwork of the library, the jovial sayings painted onto the beer cellar walls.  It was a sight to see everything done with such attention to detail. 


There are so many other attractions I hope to visit while in the Alliance area- the Troll Hole Museum, Beech Creek Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve, the Feline Historical Museum- the list goes on and on so I’ll check back in to update when do.  
Update:  I was able to visit the Feline Historical Museum one afternoon.  This FREE attraction offers just about everything you'd ever want to know about cats from their history- revered in Egypt, blamed for the Plague in Europe, grown to be loved internationally.  This exhibit features cats in advertisement, entertainment and other cultures.  






No comments: