Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Great Ohio Cities- The Big Three Cs

Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati are the three largest cities in Ohio. They each have their own culture and a lot to offer the budget road-tripper. Cleveland is in the north of the state on the shores of Lake Erie, Columbus is in central-Ohio and Cincinnati is in the southwest tip on the Ohio River. They are connected by Interstate 71. One thing these three cities have in common- they LOVE their sports!

Cleveland~

The first trips I remember were to Sea World and Geauga Lake in Aurora, near Cleveland, Ohio with my family (probably my first time in a hotel) and the Cleveland Zoo with my cousins when my sister was still in a stroller. Childhood trips also included the Natural History Museum and the Cleveland Art Museum, which are nearly next to each other. The art museum is free! We've made the 1.5 hour drive to Cleveland many times. More recent Cleveland visits included the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), Edgewater Park, Browns, Cavaliers and Indians games, lots of Playhouse Square shows and countless concerts!

Our most recent family trip to Cleveland was a visit to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. My father wanted to go. My friend Katie gave me 6 FREE TICKETS (thanks, chica)! My siblings and I were able to enjoy a great afternoon with our father who had a great time talking about his own Rock & Roll memories. The exhibits were very interesting. The films were great. The Rock Hall is definitely one of the best attractions Cleveland has to offer.

Iron Chef Michael Symon has two restaurants in near downtown Cleveland- Lola and Lolita. My family’s choice is an Italian place a little out of downtown but worth the drive- Stancato’s in Parma. The buffet on Sunday is the best!

Columbus~

We’ve taken many family trips to Columbus. One of the last trips we took before my mom passed away in 1992 was to Columbus. We went to COSI (a science museum), the German Village and the State Fair. A decade later, my sisters and I planned a weekend get-away to Columbus to visit the Zoo and just have some fun. We ended up planning it on exact weekend that we spent our last family trip together ten years earlier! My sisters and I had a blast on that trip. I unknowingly turned the wrong way down a one-way street and did a quick, tire-squealing U-turn to the glee of my passengers. We rode go-carts. We saw manatees, which are actually way bigger than what they seem on TV. We even ordered room-service. Good fun!

Recent trips to Columbus included visits to the Columbus Museum of Modern Art and the Franklin Park Conservatory. Both the museum and Conservatory are always changing exhibits and are different every time you return. The natural beauty of Conservatory is absolutely stunning.

I can’t think of any one place I enjoy eating in Columbus. I love to indulge in a cream puff from the German Village.

Cincinnati~

Cincinnati is a great place to visit. There is so much to do! I had a friend that attended University there and I visited quite often. We’ve enjoyed King’s Island Amusement Park, the Cincinnati Art Museum, Krohn Conservatory and Eden Park. We crossed the Ohio River to enjoy the Newport Aquarium which is in neighboring Kentucky. Riverboat gambling is in nearby Indiana. There are always concerts and other cultural events going on in Cincinnati. It is a vibrant city.



You can’t visit Cincinnati without trying some of the famous Skyline Cincinnati Chili. Don’t worry- they have great Greek salads and other sides of chili isn’t your thing, but you should try it once because it is unlike chili from anywhere else! Montgomery Inn is a fantastic ribs place with a great atmosphere. There are a few locations and while the original location is very nice, the Montgomery Inn at the Boathouse has a perfect view of the Ohio River. It is a favorite spot!


August 24, 2009

On a recent business trip to Cincinnati, I was looking for things to do in the evening. The Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center is open late on Mondays and is free after 5:pm. I drove into downtown, parked at a deck and first walked to Fountain Square. It is a nice place to sit, people watch or relax. From Fountain Square, I walked to the CAC.

It is seven floors- the top floor was the children's museum and photography was allowed in that area. I enjoyed the exhibits and video installations in other galleries very much. The CAC is located in a bustling part of Cincinnati with a lot of restaurants nearby. It is a great Cincinnati attraction!



No comments: