Monday, December 29, 2014

Girls' Trip- Geneva-on-the-Lake

Girls' Trip- Geneva-on-the-Lake
May 30- June 1, 2014
Geneva, Ohio

The first time I drove through Geneva-on-the-Lake was on a cold February afternoon but even with the piles of snow and most of the businesses closed for the season, I was struck by the atmosphere of the area.  The main strip reminded me of Key West with gift shops, arcades, bars and food stands mixed with clothing boutiques, wineries and a few upscale restaurants. Only an hour away, it was the perfect location for a girls' trip at the start of the summer.

Jan, Di and I drove together, arriving at Abigail's Cottages in the late afternoon.  Pulling up, it appears to be a small complex of cottages right on the main strip.  But just one step through the gate and the entire place opens to a huge grassy area surrounded by quaint cottages, all with breathtaking views of Lake Erie. There's a lower lakefront sundeck that offers a huge fire pit and a whole lot of places to sit, relax and watch the sunset.  Rocky steps lead straight out into the lake but in late May the water was still quite chilly.  Halfway up the hill, a gazebo perched on the hillside overlooks the lake, as well. That lakefront patio became our group's main hangout for the weekend.

Joanna, Megan and Tera arrived a few hours later after taking the 'scenic route' famished and demanding dinner. Luckily, there was a pizza place right across the street and we enjoyed a quick bite around the picnic table outside.  The cottage was perfect for a group of our size- Di, Jan and Megan all had rooms of their own, Tera slept on a couch and Joanna and I shared a room with 3 beds.  There were two bathrooms, one with a claw foot tub.  I don't know why- I'm not usually a bath-taker but for some reason whenever I see a claw foot tub I start to think I might enjoy it.

After dinner and watching the sunset we all set out to explore the strip a little.  Our first stop was a bar with dueling pianos and $4 shots of Patron.  After taking in a few awesome piano renditions of songs like 'Nuttin but a G-Thang' and 'Brick House', we moved up the strip to an arcade to play some ski-ball.  Now let me say that my Grampy was a ski-ball champion and that must be in our blood because I tore it up at ski-ball, too. I converted all my tickets into temporary tattoos and continued up the strip.  We found a cute little shop called Harmony Jade which offered just about all the hippie chick clothes a girl could want. Not to miss a hippie dress shopportunity,I dug through everything until I found a bright purple dress with a colorful tribal print to make my own.  We stopped for ice cream on our way back to the cottage and made wine floats.

The next morning we woke up, made breakfast and then headed down to the sundeck for a few Sun Salutations beside the water- what an invigorating way to start the day.  We drove to Geneva State Park and walked along the shore, following the coast away from the main beach to more secluded parts.  Then we jogged to the other end, crawled along the rocks and looked for sea glass before we strolled back to the car.  Megan and Tera went to do water slides while the rest of us stayed back to relax by the water after lunch.  Let me just say that I have a long track record of getting moderately to severely banged up on waterslides so when Tera returned with a harrowing tale of her own waterslide related incident, I was glad I'd chosen to relax on the sundeck.  In the late afternoon, most of us headed up the strip to play mini golf (I got a hole-in-one on the 18th hole!) and bumper boats while Di and Jan stayed back to grill up steaks and prepare a delicious dinner.

Now, I take all the blame for making a Tiramisu Trifle with so much homemade amaretto that it might have put us in an alcohol-induced slumber but shortly after consuming dessert and several bottles of wine, we all kinda headed up to bed early.  We woke up the next morning and took one last walk up the strip before packing up and moving out.

Geneva-on-the-Lake was a fantastic Girls' Trip destination- just a short drive away, the excellent location of our cottage enabled us walk almost everywhere we wanted to go but also provided a wonderful area to just relax if we wanted.  Gathering on the sun deck for morning yoga or evening chilling was the highlight of my trip and I'm looking forward to visiting again!

No comments: