Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Midwest Reggae Fest

Midwest Reggae Fest
Clay's Park- North Lawrence, Ohio
August 1-3, 2014

The very first reggae band I ever saw was the Wailing Souls, for FREE at Nautica during FlatsFest way back in the summer of 1993.  They performed their radio hit ‘Shark Attack’ and I danced with reggae abandon as I did this weekend when the Wailing Souls were the Saturday headliner for the Midwest Reggae Fest.  Everyone in the crowd was loving the classic reggae groove- two-year-olds dancing with 80 –year-olds and people with cream, brown, gold and tan skin tones laughing and hugging and moving as one.  That feeling of unity reverberated through the crowd and throughout the weekend- this was easily the highlight of this year’s festie season.      

After music at the main stage was over on Saturday night we headed into the woods to a smaller side stage to catch a Florida rock/reggae band Sowflo’s set- it was late at night, there were probably a handful of people gathered, just chilling on the primitive benches.  It is hard to fully convey the magnitude of what happened next.  As soon as Sowflo started to play I turned to my sister and said ‘These guys rock!’  By the second or third song we were up and dancing, making our way to the front of the stage.  Before I knew it, what started out as like 20 people had turned into hundreds of people linked at the arms, singing together, swaying to the beat of the keys and horns and drums.  There was an energy running from the band and we could all feel it- we were truly connected by the power of the music and the harmony we felt with each other.

By the time SOJA headlined on Sunday night, I’d seen many of my favorite festie friends and met a lot of beautiful souls.  I sat around a campfire with some of my closest friends laughing hysterically about past experiences and planning future endeavors.  I could feel a special vibe the moment we pulled in and by the end of the weekend I’d had one of the most beautiful and transforming experiences of my life.  The attitude of everyone in attendance was one of unity which created an atmosphere of peace and comradery.  Reggae has a way of bringing together people of differing age, economic status, race or religion, giving us common ground and we can’t help but dance with each other.  I truly felt the meaning of ‘One LOVE’ that weekend.  


No comments: